Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wedding Post: Shoes

So my dear friends, I've been on the hunt for some wedding shoes to go with my beautiful dress. Recently, it's been a trend for the groom to give a designer pair to the bride as a wedding gift. It's a great idea and perfect for loads of ladies, but it doesn't necessarily work for me. Let me tell you why, first I'm not a shoe diva so there isn't a pair of Jimmy Choos or Louboutins I've been drooling over. I'm also really hard on shoes and have noticed that my expensive shoes last just as long as some of my cheapies, so now I just buy what I like and not care too much for the brand. Also, we're paying for the wedding ourselves and I just cannot justify my Fiance spending $$$ on a pair of shoes I may never wear again and will only wear for a small amount of time. I'd rather splurge a little more on our honeymoon, a piece of jewelry I can have for years or something else entirely.


For wedding shoes, I'm having a difficult time because I don't want too high of a heel. My Fiance is two inches taller than me and he really doesn't want me towering over him in high heels and higher hair. My sister and I often joke about me becoming a monster bride and the guests running away in fear of being eaten - kind of like the scene in Monsters vs Aliens. I also would like to find shoes I will wear again and will be comfortable. I'm 5'8" so any shoe 4 inches or more makes me 6 ft tall. Also, soft golds and ivories go better with my dress than silver. I've also thought of wearing shoes of color to match my theme, but can't find any soft pink or yellow shoes I care for and I already have my something blue.

So I thought that I'd turn to some of my favorite bloggers, readers and friends to help me make my decision!


Here's some shoes I've spotted and my feelings about them, I'm not dead set on any of these shoes yet and I'm still trolling the internet for the perfect Cinderella fit:
TOMS 'Classic' Glitter Slip-On in Pink or Nude.

These are my top pick so far because they're sparkly, pretty, no heel and will be comfortable to wear all night long. Also, TOMS are part of a great One for One cause and every pair that is bought a pair is given away to a child in need.. The only drawback is that although they're fun, I don't know if they will feel "dressy" enough once I'm wearing them. Not that anyone can even see them under my dress anyways, but still. The second con is that I only wear shoes like this when I'm camping and working out so I'm not sure if this is really my "style". I do have an inkling that I'll love these shoes and will wear the heck out of them.
Steve Madden 'Haylow' Sandal in Gold Glitter

These shoes would be perfect for my dress; sexy, dressy and sprakly!! Steve Madden shoes are pretty comfortable so I'll probably be able to wear them for a few hours during the wedding. Pro: I'd feel great wearing them (for the few hours anyways) and would definitely wear them again. Con: The heel is over five inches! That puts me in giant grounds.


Jessica Simpson 'Alek' Pump in Champagne Satin

This shoe is dressy, pretty, will go well with my dress and I'll probably wear it again. However, it's just over four inches so it's not too bad, but more height than I would like.


Steve Madden 'Feelixx' Pump in Champagne Satin

This is a 41/2 inch heel so it's not too bad, and I love the fun bling in the front! The reviews online for them nearly all say that they're quite comfortable so that's a plus. Unfortunately, it's just barely over my heighth limit, but I still considerate them in the running.

Ivanka Trump 'Doublet' Sandal in Pale Grey

This heel is exactly 4 inches so it definitely works for me! I love the simplicity of the straps and the gorgeous glass embellishments. They're definitely dressy enough and I think they'll give me that Cinderella feel. I love how elegant these shoes are and I'm sure I'll get future use out of them. These also got great reviews online and are one of my favorites thus far for heels.

 

Reef Krystal Star in Taupe/Champagne

These are definitely a lot more casual, but the color will go well with my dress. Considering the wedding is outside the flat bottom of the shoe is perfect for walking in the grass and dancing, and the slight wedge will give me a little bit of heighth. Plus, I KNOW I'll use these in the future.

So friends, what's your take? Should I go for a heel or some flats? I know I could wear a heel for the ceremony and then change to something more comfortable for the reception, but after some consideration I'd rather save the money and just buy one pair for both events.

Some items to note in helping me make a decision are:

1. Height of the heel
2. Our wedding overall is semi-formal
3. Both the ceremony and reception are outdoors and there will be grass.

Which shoe is your favorite? Have another shoe you would like to suggest? What did you wear for your wedding?

17 comments :

Rissy said...

My sister in law just got that title lol

At my brother's wedding, she wore adorable flats with pearl like beads on them. They were Steve Madden, and they were fab. Ah I so want to add a picture of them because they looked so amazing (yes I am bragging)

She actually wore those glittery gold steve maddens to the wedding after party with a short, sassy, white dress. They were HOT!

Rissy said...

p.s. she's been able to wear the sassy gold numbers since then too!

-Sam I Am- said...

SERIOUSLY, I WISH WE WERE CLOSER TOO, BECAUSE I KNOW WE WOULD BE BFF!! :)

You seriously are one of my favorite fashion blogs, not even kidding! Your style, advice, tips, etc. are all so real and achievable to the everyday girl but yet still so trendy and stylish! I love it. And girlfriend I NEED those glittery TOMS. I have eyed them for over a year. Time to just break down and buy em'!

Hope you are having a GREAT day my beautiful friend :)

Anonymous said...

kate spade had some adorable ones the other day...on sale. Ill try to find the link and email it to you. it was a good heel size as well. Let me simmer on some options.

Young and Fabulous said...

looove the j-simpson pumps! you could totally wear those again with skinny jeans or a dress and on a night on the town so they'd be put to good use after your wedding! :)

xoxox

VP said...

What do you think about kitten heels? I usually like either flats or really high heels, but low heels have proven to be really versatile - and not to mention comfortable, too!

JMB said...

What color are you looking for seeester dear? I may have a pair that you need to check out? If you even like them!! They would be ceremony ONLY though haha youd want to change out of them afterwards butttt they're only 30 or 40 bucks....AND I know how you feel because when the day comes to start planning my wedding it will be Mike and me paying for it I think or well ME helping my parents, whichever we decide. I may have my parents just help on my dress and reception or dress and decor and then US take care of everything else. I just feel BAD having my parents front the bill for something that I am in love with that is going to cost a ton of money. Ive never asked my parents for money since I have worked since age 16. Ill post a pic of those shoes on my post today for you...be on the lookout

marilee said...

make sure you wear something comfy!!! toms are a cute, unique idea. if you go for Steve Madden 'Feelixx' Pump in Champagne Satin
- they're on sale on nordstrom.com right now :)

Vanessa said...

I sooo feel you on the height thing, I'm 5'8 too! I saw some really cute sparkly gold flats by Steve Madden at Nordstrom yesterday. I don't know if a patent nude would work, but I saw some with a 2-3 inch heel at Nordstrom also (I have them in black and they are super comfy!). I included some links below :-)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/steve-madden-ulltra-pump/3093240?origin=category

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/steve-madden-kinnetic-flat/3125202?origin=category

Kristen said...

WOWOWOWOWOW!! You ladies are the best! Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and help! You really have some great advice!

Nado Queenie said...

Wow have the times changed from when I got married 6yrs ago (I wish the hubby would have bought me a pair of designer shoes!). My vote is for the 1st SM Glitter pump & the JS pump super cute...I wore kitten heels for my wedding (the hubby & I are the same height) But he LOVES me in heels & doesn't care that he's shoter (I just didn't think it would look right in our pics)& then changed into glitter flats for the dancing.
Also check out Nordies website, they have tons of cute wedding shoes all different heights.

Frances @ It's Sew My Style said...

I think you should wear what you'll feel most like yourself in. I wouldn't discount buying a pair of heels for the ceremony and then just wearing some flip flops for the reception. If that's what is going to make you comfortable then do it! Also, whatever shoes you decide on (even if it's flip flops) my only word of advice is to wear them prior to the wedding to break them in. You don't want blisters on your big day.

Rach said...

All of these shoes are so pretty! My favorites are the Steve Madden glitter and the Ivanka Trump. I'm not a fan of Toms in general, so I don't think I can give an unbiased opinion of them. But if they aren't something that you normally wear, there is a good chance you will probably look back at your pictures in 10 years and wonder what the heck you were thinking. You could always wear heels for the ceremony and Toms or flip flops for the reception.

Marian said...

I really wanted to buy a new pair of Loubies for my wedding...I mean, if there is ever a reason for expensive shoes, weddings could be one of them. However, my sister talked me out of it and I ended up witha beautiful pair from Zappos...which was great because I ended up exchanging them for flip flops right after the ceremony...haha. SO comfort is key

Lyndsy said...

Totally weird to admit but I love the Ivanka Trump heels. Love the sparkle, heighth and everything!

Lived With Love said...

Don't get the Toms! We have these in whit for work and they're comfortable but they make your feet STINK! lol! x

Kristin said...

I LOVE those Ivanka shoes! She has some really great ones! Those are gorgeous!