Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Product Review: Spray Tan

With the wedding coming up, I want to definitely have a "bridal glow", not a Jersey Shore tan and I don't want to look like Casper. I've never been one for fake baking, but have used self-tanners in the past (check out the reviews here). For all the bridal events coming up (shower, bachelorette party) I wanted to have the tan nailed perfectly by the wedding.


I've heard tons and tons about spray tans so I wanted to check them out. I Googled and asked around and came across Premiere Sunless Tan in Chino, CA. Kari is the owner of PST, it's a mobile service so you can head to her place, or have her come to your home or work for the tan. Sorry it's not a chain store ladies, but if you live in the area you should definitely check them out! I set up my appointment with the owner Kari and headed over.

I had a custom full body spray and I'm so happy with the results! Kari uses a tanner that has bronzer in it so you see the results right away. My tan lines from last summer are barely visible! I know I said I'd never post another picture without make-up on, but I want to show you ladies the full effect of the tan.

Here I am on the left just before the tanning session the pic on the right is 3 days post tan (please note that NONE of these pictures are flattering):

 

These pictures do not give the tan justice! I really wish I had taken better before and after pictures so you guys could get the full effect. These pictures are at different places with different lighting and the post pic is after having my hair done and with my weave in, also the color looks more tan than it did in real life. Check out these OOTDs here and here for a better picture of the tan IRL. Anyways, the tan is the exact color that I was looking for! My tan is even all over my body and I didn't have any orangeness from the spray at all! The color looks very natural, like it's the middle of summer or I just got back from a vacation.

Everything I wear looks so much better now and I don't have any need to wear bronzer on top of the tan. I feel so much more confident and I definitely look thinner do to that 5-10 lbs a tan can shave off of you.  I've never cared too much about being tan, but now I think I'm addicted!! I'm so happy with the results, I bought a package and have 4 tans to use before the big day. It's now been a few days and the tan is slowly fading (I missed a day or two of using Jergen's Natural Glow to help prolong it) and my tan lines from last summer are gradually appearing.

Here's some tips I've found online that help prepare for your spray tan and help it to last longer which I've been following and have seen the results:

Before Tanning:

  • Wax 2 days before tanning or shave the night before; wax residue will block tanner absorption.
  • Take a shower and exfoliate properly using a body brush or quality scrub. Removing any dead cells and body oils will help the sunless tanner penetrate your skin and give you the best results. 
  • Do not use deodorants (it will turn green!!!), makeup, perfume or moisturizers prior to the tanning. lotions can act as a barrier & prevent the solution from contacting your skin.
  • You may tan in the garment of your choice or ladies may be sprayed nude. Bathing suit and underwear work well and Men are required to wear underwear, boxer shorts or a bathing suite.
  • Wear loose-fitting dark-colored clothing and flip-flops because some of the bronzer can rub off on your clothing and shoes can cause your feet to prepare affecting the result.
  • To avoid age spots , freckles, moles, ect. from getting darker, apply a cosmetic concealer over the spots or areas to block the solution and give an even appearance of color.

Immediately After Tanning:

  • Do not wash your hands for at least 4 hours.
  • Do not put on tight clothing for at least 4 hours.
  • Do not exercise(1st day). Perspiring immediately after tanning alters the chemical reaction of the solution changing its color.
  • Do not swim or immerse yourself in water.
  • Do not apply moisturizer.

Maintain & Prolong your tan:

  • Wait at least 8 hours before Showering. Recommend next day.  You may see color washing off the first time you shower, this is normal.
  • Apply moisturizer after the shower and every day after your tanning session.This will help prolong your tan. Do not take long hot baths or showers.
  • Chlorine from a pool or jacuzzi can cause your tan to fade faster
  • Using a product like Jergen's Natural Glow at night to help maintain your tan

Have you tried spray tanning before? What was your experience? Any tips?


*BTW I was away Thursday - Monday on a short vacation so I'll be writing back to your emails and comments and catching up on your blogs today and tomorrow! Hope you all had a great weekend!

14 comments :

Kerr said...

I love a spray tan. I have only gotten the one in the automated booth, never had someone spray me in person. It is so nice to do before an event. I wish I could afford to do it all the time!

Anonymous said...

i got a spray tan on sat! lol. it looks great. I bought a package of 5 for kinda cheap at my place in simi. I too wish I could be tan all the time, i look 15 lbs skinnier.

Frances said...

It looks great on yah!!

Rissy said...

I've never spray tanned before but have been interested. I fake bake (cringe) I know. Shame on me. I definitely agree that it makes my clothes look better. As my friend Darcy says "Tan fat is prettier than pale fat." hahahah

The tan looks really good!

www.rissyblogs.blogspot.com

Hikari said...

I really wanted to do this before my wedding--but my maid of honor ( a master esthetician, who was supposed to do my waxing) created quite a bit of drama (to this day I don't know what was going on with her and she never confessed) Long story short, without a word, she bailed on my entire wedding and I felt it was better to be waxed than tan for my big day. Since the only place I found that could give me the full waxing I wanted (three days before my wedding) only had time during my tanning session... I cancelled the tan. The rest of the days before were full of guests flying in and other pre-wedding activities. No time for a good spray tan. I still want one and may just go and get one.

Sara said...

holy that tan looks AWESOME!!!!

Vanessa said...

The color is really pretty! I used to do fake baking and regret it so much; I did it over two summers, but I'm never doing it again. I'm naturally really really pale, so I've just learned to embrace it lol. I would love a natural spray tan before my wedding (someday) though, great review!

P.S.
I love that you live in the same general area lol, first other blogger that I know of!

Anonymous said...

So I have NEVER spray tanned, I don't mind fake baking, but I'm torn for Tim's sister's wedding. I'm a bridesmaid and the dresses are kelly green so I don't want to look pale or I'll look like a leprechaun. I have to do some more price matching and research before I decide what to do. BTW I can't believe the difference in the 2 photos. You look like you dyed your hair! Your OOTD look great with your tan and I agree, being tan makes you feel and look skinnier.

Nado Queenie said...

Wow! What a difference. Looks amazing :)

Rach said...

Your tan looks great! And I absolutely lover your hair like that too! I've gotten a few spray tans and was really pleased with the result. I think it makes a big difference when you have an actual person airbrushing you rather than a machine. I do have a mortifying spray tan story though-I once fainted while the lady was spraying me (and I was buttnaked!) Not only did my tan smear everywhere, but the entire salon staff saw me in my birthday suit. I hoped that the lady wouldn't remember, but she always teased me about it when I came in. Ahhh!

JMB said...

I am SOO behind on my commenting!! So I am just now reading this post! I FOR ONE LOOOOOVE LOVE spray tans! I go to Suntan City here in my hometown and I get the VersaSpa!! It is AMAZING!!!! Your spray looks au natural and HEALTHY!! I am obsessed with them!! I have not had one since October for my freinds wedding...

Anonymous said...

hi! if anyone is interested in having a spray tan and live in the San Fernando Valley i do them and have for many years ....check me out on facebook....Mobile Airbrush Tanning By Kari .
..hope to hear from you soon ! :)

Unknown said...

color is really pretty! I used to do bogus cooking and feel dissapointed about it so much
brazilian body waxing

Best Ice Shaver said...

"WOW! Great Article you can also Find Some Relevant.
best professional spray tan machine"