Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Product Review: Books on CD

Ok, so I know this is a JUMP from my usual beauty related reviews, but I just had to share!! I'm a HUGE book reader and always have been. Now that I'm out of school and my big kid job is across the street from the library, I have been reading new books left and right. I kept thinking to myself how I wish I could read while I commute to and from work without getting into an accident or getting car sick (gross!). Then it dawned on me, it came to me in a dream and I realized "HELLO bombshell (Victoria Secret ads totally stick in my head), they make audio books!!". This is totally a two-for-one deal, and we all love those!

So, I requested my first audio book from the library and have been a happy camper ever since. I drive 2.5-3 hours a day for work and this little gem has saved me. Traffic doesn't bother me as much, I don't mind waiting in my car if I arrive somewhere early, and I find myself bummed out when I have passengers in my car and have to turn the book off for my guests.



You might be asking what I've been "reading" and it's the Harry Potter Audio Books! I'm already on the fifth book and started with the first. I've always liked the movies and now that I've started the books I'm a full-fledged fan. In fact, I'm trying to persuade my Fiance in letting us get a white pet that we can name Hedwig (like Harry's owl), I'm constantly Googling/Wikipedia-ing each book and character for more information and hidden meanings, I've also perused the website for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida...more than a woman of my age without children should ever admit to. My sister keeps pointing it out that she was a fan from the start (she picked up her books at midnight when they were released) and that I'm late to the game. I guess the best part of being "late" is that I don't have to wait years for the next book (I'm talking to you Charlaine Harris and The Southern Vampire Mysteries!).

So, since my sister is so cool, here is a picture of her and her bf on opening night of the new Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows film in matching shirts.

Isn't this cute? True love I tell you!

Besides my new found obsession with Harry Potter, listening to audio books have been the new best thing since sliced bread. The HP books are narrated by Jim Dale who does different voices for the characters and it's so entertaining! It's not cheesy at all and the voices sound very similar to the characters in the movie. The CDs book is read in 3-5 minute intervals so it's easy to listen to a piece again if you didn't catch it, started daydreaming, or you were laughing so hard that you missed some of it. For anyone who has a long drive or even a short drive for that matter, I would HIGHLY suggest trying audio books for the ride.

Since I've seen all of the movies (except for the new one, I'm waiting to read the book first) it's easy to listen to the books and visual the scenes and characters. I'm sure that even listening to a book where I've never seen the movie, it would still be the same since I do that subconsciously when reading anyways.

Are you guys big readers? I know Amanda, Kristin and Jessica are. Have any of you tried audio books before? Any ones you would suggest? Any HP fans out there?

PS Are you guys interested in book reviews or should I just stick to beaty related items?
Post a Comment