Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wedding Post: Dresses

This weekend, I'll be going to check out dresses with some of my family, soon to be in-laws and friends. I'm so stoked! I've already tried on a few dresses already to get an idea of what I want (and to scope out a sale at a local store).


Since I was young, I've ALWAYS pictured myself in a short dress. Yep, at the ripe old age of 9 I just knew my dress would be short. Aaaaand with a casual backyard wedding a short dress is perfectly fitting. My biggest concern here is that it would look trendy for this time or when I look back in 20+ years I will wish I went with a traditionally long gown. If I were to go with a long dress, I would want it to be flowy on the bottom and not a ball gown skirt. I've also thought about having a long dress for the ceremony and a short one for the reception, if I were to find both dresses and still stay within my budget ($700). However, I'm willing to try any and all styles on because you just never really know. Never say never right? My only must-haves for a dress are as follows: a strapless, sweetheart neckline, beading only at the top- either my bust or waistline.


*Please keep in mind that dresses on a model vs me will look different, will be accessorized differently, etc so keep an open mind about what the dress "could be"*


Here are some of my favorite designer short dresses





Here are some of my favorite designer long dresses, yes I know that some of them are not necessarily flowy on the bottom, but I still love the drama of these skirts. Also, I do want my dress to be appropriate with my theme and location, but since I'm the bride- can't I wear what my heart desires (as long as it's not too over the top)?



Here are some celeb dresses, I WON'T be looking for inspiration from:



Look, I know it was the 80s and 90s, but come on. Mariah's poofy sleeves, ridiculously long veil, and a gigantic bouquet? There is such a thing as too much of a good thing sister! Celine, I guess I can let it slide since you and your spouse are "foreigners", jk! A headpiece like that is not good in any decade woman, oh and I love the bottom of your sleeves! Courtney, Courtney, Courtney, where was your BFF Jen to help you pick out a dress? Princess Di, my family and I loved you, but there's never a reason to drown in fabric.


Ok, not that I necessarily care for the first two of these brides, but you must give credit where it's due right?

Avril's dress and overall look shocked me, only because this is not what I envisioned she would choose. I love all of her style on this day; her hair, veil, dress, all of it! Heidi kept it classy on her big day and didn't go with any of her usual clothing choices. Love her entire look too (except for her choice in the groom) down to the multiple strand necklaces and bracelets. Ivanka can do no wrong with fashion. She's looks stunning from head to toe here and I bet I'll sitll think so 25 years from now. Cindy is also looking gorg in a casual short dress and it's already been a decade or so since this picture! All of these ladies look so classic, elegant, and gorgeous! This is what I envision for myself for my wedding day, whether I'm wearing a short or long dress.

Honestly, whenever I browse websites for wedding ideas, be it Southern Weddings, Style Me Pretty, or The Knot, I seriously love so many different styles of weddings that there's not a single solitary one that's perfect for you, but I could find several perfect dresses just depending on what I want to look like and what will fit with the theme and location of my wedding. Is that how you ladies felt?What do you ladies (and any gents out there who peruse my blog) think? What's your take on short vs long? What did you wear on you big day and do you have any regrets?
Post a Comment