Remember my Dove post about their new deep conditioners (see post here), well Dove sent me the 411 on how to achieve Lea's look! I'm so excited too because she was my pick for best dressed at the Teen Choice Awards (see here). I thought her loose waves were gorgeous and I can't wait to try these tips for myself! I'll give them a whirl soon and post the pictures for sure for you guys.
Stylist Mark Townsend offered his secret on how to get Lea Michele’s look here:
• Distribute Dove Body & Lift Volumizing Mousse throughout and blow dry hair with round brush to add lift
• Divide hair into 5 sections: 1 top, 2 sides, 2 back
• Apply Dove Heat Defense Therapy Mist to individual sections immediately before applying curling iron to protect hair against heat styling damage
• Starting with the back section, use a double barrel curling iron on 3 inch sections of hair, letting the curled pieces fall and hair cool without pinning
• Continue to curl the entire head using the double barreled iron to create figure-eight style waves
• Warm a pea-sized amount of Dove Frizz Control Therapy Taming Cream between the palms of hands. Rake fingers through hair to distribute product evenly for shiny, beachy texture.
• Flip head upside down to slightly loosen up the look and spray Dove Unscented Extra Hold Hairspray with Natural Movement throughout
Also, Mark offered a few additional tips about styling Lea’s hair that night and ways to keep it looking great for the red carpet!
• “I use Dove Heat Defense Therapy Mist on dry hair immediately before I use a curling iron or straighter. The product is great for damp hair, pre-blow dry, but also gives an added bit of protection when using heated tools like an iron.”
• “Right before she left her house, I gave Lea a mini Dove Hairspray to carry in her purse. For award shows we often change her look from red carpet to performance or if she is presenting, but since Lea was wearing the same style throughout the evening we needed it to last. I told Lea to spray the sides of her hair just before she got out of the car, for an added bit of staying power. She also had it on hand in case the look needed a boost post-show.”
• “Lea and I often pull inspiration for her looks from a variety of fashion, beauty and Hollywood imagery. But for the Teen Choice Awards, Lea was the inspiration. She’s young, modern, smart and sexy and her look really reflected that sensibility. It was a bold choice – we’ve never done this kind of super volume before, but it looked gorgeous.”
Sounds pretty easy to me! This whole look is one that isn't meant to be perfect so even if your curls aren't symmetrical - go with it!