Monday, April 19, 2010

The Getty Villa

Earlier this month, my Sister had an assignment for an art history class to go to The Getty Villa, so being the loyal and loving sister I am I tagged along. There was so many amazing things and we took 100s of pictures, but here are my fave:
The Barbara and Lawrence Fleischman Theater
Photobucket
Cupid
Photobucket
Inner Peristyle
Photobucket
Outer Peristyle
Photobucket
Sarcophagus depicting Achilles life (the faces were left blank so that the owner of it could have their own carved)
Photobucket
Hercules
Photobucket
Olympic crown (this one is made of gold, but not meant to be worn)
Photobucket

We had such a great time and it was gorgeous! It's free to go, but you need to reserve your ticket and parking is $15. You could seriously spend the entire day there and they have a cafe or you can bring your own food and have a picnic in the gardens. My favorite part would have to be the gardens, they're so breathtaking. It's really neat to see how people lived and what they believed in, it's amazing. Also, some of the artifacts dated to 5000 BC!! How freaking old is that? There's tons of stuff to look at including money and jewelry that were pretty cool.

Have you ever been to one of the Gettys? Do you enjoy museums?

9 comments :

Jessica said...

I love the photos! I am huge fan of museums but we don't have any good ones near where I live.

Coley said...

Gorgeous photos! Looks like a really fun visit :)

Tiffany said...

I've heard so many good things about the Getty Museum but have yet to go there. But it is on my must visit! Great pictures and thanks for the tips, a picnic in the gardens sounds like so much fun! :)

Anonymous said...

cupid has a tiny peter!

Lyndsy said...

Been to both but I just adore the Getty Villa. The view, the garden. The BF and I went to Moonshadows and enjoyed a margarita and some sun first. Next time I'm packing a picnic basket and wine to relax and take it all in :)

Anonymous said...

This is Karli again. Idk why my account isn't working. But this trip was way fun! The Getty Villa was structured after an actual Roman house btw. How cool is that?!

Anonymous said...

ha youre a good sister :) but it looks like it was really fun!

Day Old News said...

Dude, I've STILL never been, but it's on my to do list!

Nado Queenie said...

I've been to both & both are amazing! But if I had to choose one, it would def. be the Villa.