Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Product Review: e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer


A few weeks ago, I bought a ton of stuff from e.l.f. (check out my shadow review and lipstick/lipgloss reviews from the haul) and one of them was the e.l.f. Mineral Primer ($1). Their Coffee Bean shadow lasts so long, I thought I’d have to really scrub it off at night when combined with their primer. That, however, was not the case. It somehow even seemed that the shadow lasted less time and creased more. After hours and hours of wear without any primer, the shadow did have some creases, but nothing scary. With the primer, my creasing was ridiculous- like entire gaps across my lid. I’m pretty bummed about their primer, but most of the products I’ve tried of e.l.f. have been fan-spranking-tastic so although I’d pass on buying this particular product again, I will still try more of their stuff. Luckily, Urban Decay Primer Potion is readily available and is the holy grail of lasting shadow (see my review here).

Have you tried the e.l.f. Mineral Primer? What was your experience? I’m wondering if maybe it was my application (I just put it on my lid, spread it evenly and gave it a minute to absorb) because my day wasn’t anything special, just a regular day spent in a freezer box of an office.

What primers do you swear by?

7 comments :

Lindsey said...

I wear the elf primer every day and I love it, but I put my foundation over my eye lids before I put it on. So maybe that's why I love it?? It def helps my eye shadow stay longer. Wearing the coffee bean as we speak. My fave color I've bought of theirs so far.

shay said...

My absolute favorite primer is Too Faced Shadow Insurance... i've never had any problems with it and its not super expensive...

Carolyn said...

I think I might have told you this already, but I use the e.l.f. cream eyeshadow/eyeliner stick in glow as my eyeshadow primer. I LOVE it!

Mrs Gable said...

I am a MAC girl all the way! I have been using the Paint Pot in Soft Ochre for over 5 years now, and never had a problem with it.

Anonymous said...

ive never tried it! normally i use smashbox because i have traditionally not liked urban decay much. its nice to see more inexpensive products making it onto the market!

REBrown said...

I'm not a huge primer fan at all. It always feels way too heavy on my skin.

Leslie said...

I love the Too Faced Primed & Poreless and Laura Mercier's primer. I love all of ELF's brushes...they are the best!