Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wedding Post: Let them eat cake!

I love all desserts; cookies, brownies, chocolate covered anything...and I especially love cake! Traditionally a cake is served at a wedding, but recently it's becoming the trend that the cake is only for show and the newlyweds are serving another type of dessert. I've seen tons of cupcake towers, but I think they're wearing out their welcome for alternative dessert tables such as candy buffets. All-white cakes have been everywhere, I see them all over the wedding sites and at every wedding I've attended this year. Another new trend I see is a cookie or brownie bar. Yummy!

The Fiance and I have gone back and forth about what type of dessert to serve. We know that you can serve both a cake AND something else, but it's just not in our budget...unless Krispy Kreme Donuts makes a donation anyways. Hint hint. We've decided on the type of cake and it's filling, but I don't want to give it away! Hehe, you guys will have to wait!

As for look and design of the cake, we're still exploring our options. We still have plenty of time, but I like to plan ahead. Here are some of my favorite cakes that I've found online. Please note that I stuck to conventionally decorated cakes, I know there are all kinds of ways to decorate cakes, but didn't want to touch that base: 


All white cakes: They're classic, but can still be updated with new textures and accents. My favorite ones, and the kind that I'm leaning towards the most is the plain white with textured sides like the first two pictures.



Colored cakes: This is a good idea if you need a splash of color, you can add some "traditional" white accents. This is also another way to incorporate your theme or wedding colors.


New ideas for "cakes": I'm so in love with these cakes! I think they're so fun and a great way to set your wedding apart from others. I like how these brides took an unconventional route for their cakes using cookies, rice krispies, donuts and pancakes.


So bloggers, friends, and new readers, what is your opinion? What cake do you think is the prettiest? What did you have at your wedding? What cake have you seen at a wedding that you just loved? Anything I should steer clear of?

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

First, I want that rice krispie cake! OMG! Amazing!!! Second, I love the all white cakes....they're so classic and beautiful and will probably taste amazing because they don't have all kinds of crap all over it. The more stuff a cake has on it the worse it's going to taste!

Did you guys agree pretty easily on your flavors? I'm afraid J and I will beat each other up because he likes chocolate and I like fruity.

Cary Dale Taylor said...

I am so distracted by my strong craving for cake that I can't even offer an opinion. :)

Lyndsy said...

I love the colored cakes! They are so pretty to look at and totally stand out. All white is boring most times! Good luck!

KP said...

I have to say classic is never a bad option. I hope that you are having so much fun with the wedding planning. :-)

REBrown said...

I had an all white cake. It was a basket weave pattern since we got married outside and was decorated with yellow flowers, the same as the ones from everyone's bouquets. It turned out really well!

REBrown
rekdbrown.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Well, I love them all because I just plain LOVE wedding cake! Seriously one of my favorite things :)

Nado Queenie said...

I love the cakes that are just simple...with that said, I fell in LOVE with Hilary Duff's wedding cake. It was so simple, rustic & beautiful. If I would have seen a cake like that when I was looking for a cake I would have had a replica made for me. I'm sure what every you & M pick its gonna be beautiful & yummy! :)