Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Product Review: e.l.f. Makeup Mist and Set


A few Recent Purchases posts ago (see it here), I bought this set spray on a whim. I've fallen in love with e.l.f. products (especially their blushes!) and thought I'd give this puppy a whirl. I hadn't heard anything about this product yet, not from Twitter or Blogger so I did some digging before using it.


Here's some info on the product from their site:

"Wish you could have a product for your makeup like Hairspray is for your hair? Well…keep your makeup staying in place all day with a radiance boosting invisible hold with our new Makeup Mist & Set. The invigorating mist moisturizes and soothes the skin with key ingredients Aloe, Green Tea, Cucumber and Vitamins A, C & E. The lightweight, comfortable and alcohol free formula improves makeup wearability and prevents color from running or fading."

Hairspray for your face? I'm in! Alcohol free? Doubly in.

Also, out of 98 reviews it received four stars. Yay! The reviews were pretty detailed, the biggest complaint I found was the smell-which I don't notice so maybe the formula has been updated.

To use, just spray 12 inches from your face after makeup application and throughout the day to refresh your look. Keep eyes closed. Well, that's easy enough!

So I've used this pretty regularly and although I don't see a big difference for the lasting power on eyeshadow, I've noticed that for face make-up this stuff really works! By lunchtime, my make-up looks the same as it did in the morning, and at the end of my day my face make-up is hanging in there well. You know how sometimes with bronzer and blush after 10 hours your face looks kind of blotchy? Not with this baby!

Overall, I think this is a great product- especially for the price. I don't like to use a face primer with my make-up because I often find it feels too heavy or overdone for everyday use, but this would be good to use in place of it.

Do you use a setting spray? Do you use a face primer? If so, do you use them regularly or just for special occasions?

I know a lot of you use Urban Decay's All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray and love it, but it's $29 price tag isn't really in my budget and I've read negative reviews of it's chemicals. I'm sure whatever chemicals it has is so minimal that it wouldn't really hurt you, but still e.l.f.'s $3 and the fact that it works is right of my alley!

18 comments :

Anonymous said...

oooh i may have to give this a try!

Coley said...

Nice review! I use a primer, but this misting setting spray sounds pretty grand.

Unknown said...

I normally use a primer but that gets expensive... I am going to have to try this stuff! thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

I've seen a lot of people talking about elf products lately! You have defaintely made me want to check them out, and especially this spray!

Miss Chelsea said...

I've never even heard of something like this... interesting!

Hikari said...

I love your product reviews. I'm going to look into e.l.f stuff and this spray.

Katy M said...

I have this product as well, and shockingly love it! Can't beat it for the price!!

Shera "The Expatriate" said...

3 dollars? That's amazing, I've never heard of Elf before (I am a NARS user through and through) but will have to try it out!

Anonymous said...

Nice find girl! You get ELF products at Target right?

Ramblin' Blonde said...

I love elf products! I will have to try this one out

xoxhaylee said...

I also just purchased the Mist & Set and have found it to work great! For primer, I use the Monistat Chaffing Gel Powder and combined with this spray my makeup stays fresh for the majority of the day!

Miranda said...

I wanted to try this when I bought some stuff from their website but it was sold out =( maybe next time! Great blog btw...Just started to follow =)

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the review! I use All Nighter from UD and absolutely love it, but the price is kind of obnoxious (I used my Ulta rewards to get it for $20 lol). I'll have to pick this up on my next trip to Target :).

Anonymous said...

i neeeeed to get ahold of some of this. as you know...i use the UD stuff. and im SOOO not willing to spend 30 bucks on it EVER again if i know ELF can deliver a fab product for 1/10 of the price!!!!

Anonymous said...

cant wait to try. I bought the mineral primer but never used it(after spending a whopping 6 dollars on it) bc I hate feeling like I have so many layers and creme and then makeup on there.

Inna xoxo said...

Im trying this!!! Thanks for the review!
xoxo Inna :)

Nikki said...

I've always said, "I wish there was a hairspray for makeup!" I actually had this in my hand at Target the other day but was afraid it was too good to be true. How awesome that you did this review? Thanks, will definitely be picking that up soon.

Lindsey said...

We totally reviewed the same product!! I'm loving this too!!! e.l.f. seriously has the best stuff.