Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Tried It/Product Review: OPI Black Shatter Polish


I've seen OPI Black Shatter Polish all over the web and magazines, it was in Serena Williams' and Katy Perry's collctions and now they have a whole Shatter Collection full of different colors. The shatter is always sold out everywhere, all the time. When I checked out Ulta this week, they had huge signs posted around the displays allowing each customer to only buy one shatter polish at a time. They only had one black left and I snatched it up and hid it with my other purchases so no one would try to jump me for it.

Originally, I was just going to pass on the polish. I mean, how often am I going to "shatter" my nail color? That's until I saw this nail look in Instyle and had to re-create it. I mean I just love leopard print (but not in a tacky way, I promise) and the Sally Hansen Nail Effects are always sold out in the print and I'm not talented enough to draw the design on myself with my Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen (see my review here).
This picture did me in, I had to copy it now. For the gold base color I used my favorite Savina gold shade (see my review here), and topped it off with the OPI Shatter Polish.
Love love love the look! I just know I'm going to go on a shatter polish binge and shatter everything. While at Ulta, I picked up some neon polishes too (you may know from Twitter) and might shatter one or two fingers on my next mani.

Erin over at Everything According to Erin had some problem with the polish "shattering" (see her review here) so I was kind of skeptic at the application, but I found it really easy. I've heard different reviews though, sometimes it worked great and others who also had a hard time with the application. That may be because of the type of nail polish or the brand or maybe mine was thinner or whatever. I was thankful it worked so well for me.

My advice for the process is to make sure your base coat is completely dry, I would think it would work best on top of just one coat. If I had to do two coats for the base color I would probably wait a few hours or until the next day to add the shatter top coat. When applying the shatter, you have to paint fast and you don't really get a chance to go over where you painted because the polish is thick, dries really quickly, and shatters fast.

Pros: shatters quickly, dries really fast, lasts,  is easy to remove (unlike glitter polishes), and your mani- at least for me- lasted about the same time.

Cons: polish is really thick, doesn't coat your nail evenly like reguar polish before shattering.

Have you tried the shatter polish yet? Was it easy for you? Do you love the look?

14 comments :

Anonymous said...

i bought this a while back and it shattered perfectly...my only problem was that while it was fun for like two days, i realized fast i would never want to wear it again. i was over it as soon as i bought it basically...which was unfortunate given i paid like 8 bucks for it!

K_stets said...

Love this stuff. I only have it in black and silver. But if you get silver, use a thin coat.

I like the fact that when you use it, I can wear it for a longer time because even if some of the black starts chipping away, you don't really notice.

Amanda said...

I've been wanting to try this, so thanks for the review!! I don't think I'd go crazy over it, but just have one shade of the shatter to use occasionally or like you said, on a couple of nails. Love the leopard type look though!

Miranda said...

I really want to try this stuff out and I love the color combo you did!

Michelle said...

LOOKS GREAT! I love it!!!! I tried Sally Hansen's Shatter version because I saw it quick at the store and it was horrible! Definitely want to try OPI!

Shera "The Expatriate" said...

Super cute! I am totally going to buy a bottle when I am back home - thanks for sharing the review: )

Jessica Nicole said...

Thank you for your review. I have been wanting to try this but was skeptical! Also- thanks for the pointers!

Sarah said...

I'm going to Ulta today, since my makeup bag has mysteriously disappeared, so I'll have to look for that and try it. I'm always looking for new ways and ideas to do my nails :)

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

I have a love/hate relationship with it! Haha. I have had the black forever and only use it when my bright colored mani's chip to elongate my mani! I just got the blue for free at my local beauty supply and put it over black and LIKE it alot better. Posted a pic on Twitter ;)

Great review!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this turned out great! I got my nails done today and they did Shellac on my nails... I highly recommend it to anyone who loves getting a french manicure and doesn't want it to chip right away. :) Thanks for sharing!

REBrown said...

How neat! This would be really cool around Halloween for something fun, but not too crazy.

. said...

Turned out great!

I'm having a Deborah Lippmann nail polish giveaway if you'd like to enter, just click here

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it! I did originally have a problem with it, but then it started working (I had to watch a youtube video!) I think i'll use it more in the winter, but it's a great look and I love it with the gold!

Katy said...

love it! i want to try now!! i have ethe shatter its fun.
xo
katy