Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Recipe: Peppermint Chex Mix

Photobucket

From my Pinterest To-Do list, I finally made the Peppermint Chex Mix. I'm so proud of myself for finally crossing something off my list. My husband's extended family had an early Christmas party, so it was the perfect time to try this out. It's really easy, but kind of messy to make. 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
The ingredients are super simple, and pretty much on sale everywhere during the holidays. The recipe is from Butter, with a side of bread- she's a genius. It would be really fun to make with kids too. 

-6 cups Rice Chex® or Chocolate Chex® cereal
-1 bag (12 oz) white vanilla baking chips (2 cups)
-1/3 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candy canes 
(I did half the candy cane box and it was way too much)

I lined our counter top with Saran Wrap and then layered Wax Paper on top. That way I had lots of room and easy clean up. 

I broke up my candy canes by putting the ones I wanted to use in a plastic Ziploc and then using a glass measuring cup to crush them by rolling it over and over them. Word of advice: do this where the wax paper is, because the canes will create little holes in the bag and powder will come out creating a mess. I don't know why I didn't do it on my prepped counter. 

Melt the chocolates in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval. Do this until thoroughly melted. Then stir in half of the crushed candy canes. 

Pour melted chocolate and candy cane mix over chex and toss for an even coat. Then mix in remaining candy canes. Let stand for 20 minutes. Then break apart and put in an air tight container. 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Next time I make it, I plan on doubling the batch. 6 cups really doesn't make that much. Especially when the men don't leave it's side. Pretzels would also be an awesome add-in, I thought about it before, but didn't have any on hand. 

What's your favorite Chex mix combo?

7 comments :

Brooke said...

this isn't fair - it looks so delish.

Ramblin' Blonde said...

This looks so good, I am definitely making a batch!

Anonymous said...

This stuff looks delicious, it will be in my belly soon. :)

LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Yum!! I like to do peanut butter and chocolate

XO Alex

http://www.bronzedsundaze.blogspot.com

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

This looks tasty. Pretzels would make a nice addition! Yum :)

Frances said...

I'm not usually a huge fan of peppermint, but this looks delish!

Jenna DeSantis said...

YUMM! This looks so good, definitely want to try this recipe!!

XO Jenna
Demureindiamonds.blogspot.com