Thursday, December 13, 2012

Our Pregnancy Story

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
 Our positive pregnancy test. One was all we needed!

One thing I've always wanted in life was to be a mother and have a large family. Even into college, my biggest life goal was not a thriving career, but to have a happy family. It just killed one of my college professors that I wanted to continue my education with a Master's, but ultimately wanted to just stay home doing crafts, singing songs, and cleaning up after my children.

My husband and I share the same dream and couldn't wait to start a family. We decided that as of September, we would officially be "trying". We were excited and giggly and the family that we told were placing bets on how soon we would be announcing our baby to be. I've always tracked my period, on birth control or not, and I've luckily had a really regular period. I started taking pre-natal vitamins, changed up my diet to a healthier version and cut out all alcohol. I mean, if I could be pregnant any day, why wouldn't I stop drinking right away? Plus, I've always had the idea that once I was a mother I would stop drinking altogether. It's really not important to me, and to be honest I haven't missed it at all.

To help track my periods I used a phone app P Tracker, which I also used to track my fertile and expected ovulation date. It's really not scientific and I wasn't placing any bets on it. My friends all suggested taking my temperature and using ovulation kits, but I wanted to have a month or more to just try it the "old fashioned way". I didn't want to put too much pressure on anything or set my expectations too high. My periods were at the start of every month and then it was go time.

Unfortunately, my Grandmother passed away (you may remember from this post) so not only was that the saddest news of my entire life, it also put a wrench into our baby making. I was supposed to be ovulating in the middle of my trip and Matt wasn't going with me. We did the research and knew how long sperm typically lasts, so I couldn't even take some of him with me if you will. Yes, I know. Totally TMI, but it's the truth. So we went on our merry way and set our sights on October . Later in September I had my annual OBGYN appointment and I talked to the doctor about how my husband and I were trying to conceive. She talked to me about early pregnancy symptoms (which is basically period symptoms) and talked about what an expected time frame would be before starting to worry about fertility.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
In our car waiting for our first sonogram appointment

Jumping to the end of the month, I was late having my period. Like I said earlier, I'm like clockwork. I talked to my husband and we figured that now we were officially trying I would probably be late every month so we decided to wait until I was a full week late before we took a test. My symptoms were normal; bottomless pit of hunger and sore engorged breasts. However, I noticed I had slight cramping in my lower abdomens, nothing crazy, just uncomfortable, which my doctor had said was a sign of early pregnancy. I never have cramps so a smile crept up on my face every time I felt them, because I just kind of knew.

Finally, it's a whole week later. Show time. We took a test and it instantly gave me the double lines. We jumped and whooped with joy. Then sat on the couch in shock with huge goofy smiles on our faces. This day, was also my grandmother's birthday. I KNOW she had a hand in this, it made it all the more special for me. My husband and I kept it to ourselves that whole day, laughing silently with each other, giving each other big grins, and lots of kisses. Later that night, we told our immediate families the good news!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Our first sonogram

We had our first appointment and found out we were further along than we had originally thought, I was actually pregnant BEFORE my trip to Utah, not after like we had expected! I'm not sure why, but that really made me excited. At the appointment we saw how active our little munchkin is and heard their heartbeat. That little nugget was so adorable and reacted to funny jokes and parts of our conversation. I know it can't actually hear yet, but it was hilarious. We are due early June and will be finding out the sex of our baby early next year. We have all of our names picked out, including middle names, but I'll share those later on.

We are beyond thrilled. The moment we've waited our lives for is here and a new journey as a family is upon us. I can't help but smile all day long. Planning our next year is so exciting!

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments, emails, tweets, etc. It's such an amazing time in my life and I'm so happy to share with everyone. Each thoughtful word you sent me has made my heart even fuller. Thank you again, I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it!

Are you guys interested in updates? I know as a reader, I love reading others pregnancy journey.

If so, what would you be interested in hearing about?

PS Today marks week 15 for us!

41 comments :

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

This post makes me smile for you :) I know you must be beyond excited! That sweet sonogram is definitely more formed than I would have expected. For me...I'm finding out it is not quite as easy as all those sex-ed teachers led us to believe!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations!!!

Taylor said...

SOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to follow along on your journey! I love already how open and honest you are with everything! Wishing you nothing but the best! XOXO

Lindsay @ LindsayInNYC said...

I would love to read ALL about your journey!! I'm in the same boat right now... Just went off birth control (for the first time in 12 years) and we're beginning the "trying" process!! <3

Joeylee said...

So exciting! Congrats again. I love reading about other people's pregnancy journies

BuggaBoosMomma said...

Loved reading your story! You are about 5 weeks behind us! What a blessing! Love you guys!

Laura C said...

Congratulations!!!! I loved reading your story. Such amazing news. And yes, I definitely enjoy the updates. :)

Anonymous said...

So happy for you! I can't even imagine the joy you have right now, so exciting. My husband and I began trying about the same time, no luck yet but hoping that will change soon for us. :)

LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

PS-
I would LOVE to hear all about yourp regnancy journey. I love reading other blog pregnancy update etc :)

Brittany said...

Yes! Tell us everything!

Melissa {Persnickety Plates} said...

Congratulations!! I'd love to read your updates :)

Pamela said...

This made me smile! So sweet! I'd love to hear more about your pregnancy story as you continue your journey!

Hannah, Here! said...

What a wonderful and exciting story! I got a little excited when you said you found out you're further along than you originally thought...that's awesome! I would LOVE updates. All the deets you want to share! I love reading about your journey down the aisle, so sharing yours and Matt's journey to parenthood will be just as--if not more--exciting.

Chelsea Mac said...

What a sweet story! I am sure that your grandmother had something to do with this! So excited to hear about your journey.

Unknown said...

Again, I'm so happy for you guys! Formally requesting baby bump pictures!

XO Alex

http://www.bronzedsundaze.blogspot.com

Carolyn said...

EEK! :) How exciting! I love that it happened so quickly for you guys! I DEFINITELY want to follow along on the pregnancy. Bring on the baby posts. HAHA :)

Perfectly Jenn said...

I can't even tell you how happy this blog post made me! You and Matt are adorable and I've enjoyed your blog journey so I can't wait to follow along for this one.

I loved your story and you are so lucky it was so easy for you! Congratulations again!

Perfectly Jenn said...

I can't even tell you how happy this blog post made me! You and Matt are adorable and I've enjoyed your blog journey so I can't wait to follow along for this one.

I loved your story and you are so lucky it was so easy for you! Congratulations again!

Mindi said...

my husband and I want try start trying the same time as you but next year... so I want to hear it all!! and I want to see your prego style!! I'm so happy for you!! congrats!! completely jealous but happy for you!! btw where is the pic with your new glasses?! I'm in love with them!!

Kerr said...

Congratulations! So happy for yall!

Lyndsy said...

so happy for the two of you :) so exciting! and if i do say so myself a pretty darn cute sonogram :)

FitFashLife said...

pics of the growing belly!!!

~LC
Fitfashlife.blogspot.com

Brooke said...

So sweet - congratulations!!!! Pregnancy is amazing and mitherhood is even better! Xxoo

Karlissa said...

Congratulations!!

Casey said...

OMG Somehow I missed your original announcement post! Congratulations!! What wonderful news! I would love to read about your pregnancy journey - I hope you will share!

Katy M said...

omg i don't know how i missed this news!! congrats!!! xo can't wait to follow along on your journey! :)

Jessica said...

I've love to hear all about it! What a cute story, you will be great parents, it's obvious because of how excited you are to be pregnant. What a blessing that you were able to conceive so quickly! Couldn't be happier for you 2, I mean 3! ;)

Potatoes and Pilates said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

What an amazing Christmas you and your hubs will have this year!

Please share your journey!

Amber said...

This post makes me happy, especially knowing that being a mom is truly what you've wanted. Congratulations and best wishes during your pregnancy. I can't wait to read all of your updates, pictures, nursery ideas and names!!!!

Ashley said...

Congrats!!! Soo exciting!!!

Hailey said...

So sweet! You are very blessed it didn't take you anytime! Congrats again. Xoxo

Unknown said...

Would love to hear updates about your journey. I felt the same way as you at Unoversity (college) and have always felt being a mother was my true calling, we are getting married next year and then will stop trying to not get pregnant and hope to fall pregnant. Cant wait and cant wait to watch your journey to motherhood. Biggest congrats again xxx

Frances said...

I literally could not stop smiling reading this. I'm beyond happy for you love. This is a wonderful story and I can't wait to read about your journey through pregnancy (and then with a little one!)

Kristie said...

Congratulations!!!! Such great news. I love you so much- you're going to make a beautiful and wonderful mother. Love you Kristen!

Sam said...

Congratulations on your exciting news. I'm looking forward to following your new journey on your blog! Happy Holidays!

eliz said...

Ahhhh congrats :-) :-)! We got pregnant right away too like the first try. It was a bit stressful to think that maybe it would not work. I am a few weeks ahead of you (Due May 10th).

Caiti said...

CONGRATS! That is so exciting! Would love to hear about the whole journey. . . the good, bad, and the ugly!! :)

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

I totally thought I commented, I guess I just texted! Haha. This is such a great story! I am so happy for you two! Plus the part about your Grandma brought tears to my eyes!

Unknown said...

Awwww congrats ! I'm preggers too! What's a grey feeling :)

Megan said...

Just saw this post! SO SO excited for you! Congrats!! :)

Sandra Jackson said...

I've been following your blog for what seems like forever! I loved all of your "bumpdates" and look forward to seeing pics of your "bunny" on IG. Quick question?... Along with your blog did you track your progess in a pregnancy journal?