Monday, December 3, 2012

Recipe: Homemade Cheesecake

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
For Thanksgiving, I made Cherry Cheesecake and it was delicious! It literally went in seconds at the family party. It's not too sweet, and very light so in my opinion it's perfection. I love cheesecake, but hate when it's too sweet that I can't even finish a slice. A woman I work with gave me this recipe after she brought it in for a potluck and I couldn't believe it wasn't store bought. It looked as good as it tasted. After making it for the holiday, my husband asked for me to make it again for another family party- but with an extra one to keep at home for him to eat himself! That's huge. He's even pickier about his cheesecakes! 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Here's what you need for ONE pie. The pics show the ingredients for the two pies I made this weekend.
1 pie crust 
 (graham cracker or Oreo)
8 oz Cool Whip 
(light tastes good too, but the fat free is not a good substitute flavor/texture wise)
8 oz Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Sugar
1 can Comstock filling 
(you can choose what you like, cherry, strawberry, etc. The cake is also good by itself, so it's just really a matter of preference) 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
When I'm getting ready to make the cheesecake, I leave the cream cheese out for a bit to soften it up, making it easier to blend.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Then blend all three ingredients together until smooth.

57955E43-3FD8-4D8E-9781-11FE925F0F9C-1273-0000007B38A84F44, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Spread the mix into your chosen crust and let sit at least 8 hours. My GF also advised to make each cake individually because if you do a double batch it doesn't turn out right. I haven't tried this myself, but she's been making this cheesecake for 20+ years so I just take her word for it! Also, the Comstock filling is kind of too much for one pie alone so I split it between two. Again, just personal preference! Top with your favorite filling and serve! Easy peasy.

What are your go-to desserts? Have you found any new ones recently?

8 comments :

REBrown said...

Mmmm I love these - my grandma always called them "yum yums".

Frances @ It's Sew My Style said...

This looks delish! Cheesecake is one of my all time favorite desserts. Even though I can't eat it, I always sneak a piece if it's around. I have no will-power with cheesecake.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe, my hubby is also a cheesecake connoisseur!

the blackbird blogging.

alison*elle said...

That looks super yummy! I always thought cheesecake was hard to make but this recipe looks really doable. I'll have to try sometime :)

xo, alison*elle

Carolyn said...

That looks so good! The hubs is a HUGE cheesecake fan... so I'm going to have to try this! :)

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

I'm drooling just looking at the pics, it looked delish!

Anonymous said...

Can you come over and make that for me???

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

Looks delish! One of my favorite desserts of all time!