Tuesday, December 20, 2011

We're Ready for Santa!

Throughout the season, I've been going back and forth on what/if we should decorate for the holidays. We live with our parents while we save for our own home and plan on buying some decorations at half off after Christmas for next year, but it's still our first year married so I wanted to do something.

I've wanted to make burlap stockings for Matt and I for-evah, but felt silly doing it when we didn't live together so now that we're married, I made them over the weekend. I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and then I saw this on Pinterest and since it was just about exactly how I pictured it, I knew it would look fantastic.

First, I outlined, cut, and pinned my fabric together (I used a white linen as lining).

Tacked on some fluffy fabric, and gliterred wooden letters. For now, our letters are our initials, but one day I'll take Matt's "M" for Mommy and I'll have to make a "D" for Daddy. The glitter has little stars in it that I couldn't see from the bottle, but it was a happy surprise. It makes the letters more festive I think. I posted this picture on Twitter, so you may have seen it.


Then, ta-da!!




I love how they look and I'm really happy with how they turned out. From start to finish it took me about 2.5-3 hours. I'm pretty amateur when it comes to sewing so someone more practiced at it would probably be able to whip these up faster. The trickiest part of the whole thing was the white fluffy top. I had to un-sew and re-sew it a couple of times before it was right. I'll definitely be able to make them for our future kids much easier.

What do you have for your stockings?

19 comments :

KatiePerk said...

So pretty!! You did a great job! My grandmother knitted our stockings when I was born and one for my husband when I got married.

Lindsey said...

Gorgeous. I love them Wolf! Ours are all hand stitched by my grandma and aunt!

Schnelle said...

They came out great! I love the glittery letters.

KRISTIN said...

Omigosh! Those are sooooo cute!!!!

Michélle said...

Wow! ADORABLE! Love it!
I still don't know why people have Christmas stockings though ;) Haha. (from Norway). I've tried asking all my Twitter friends from the US, but no answer that makes sense!
Do you put presents in the stockings too? When do you give the other person the stocking?
Love your blog!:)

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Those are so adorable, they turned out great!

Frances @ It's Sew My Style said...

YAY! They look great!!!

Gina said...

Wow! These look great! I wish I had homemade stockings, they make them that more special :)

xo, gina

anythingimaginableblog.blogspot.com

Kerr said...

They look great!

Rebecca said...

those are so beautiful!! next year I must do that =]

Chelsea Mac said...

These are so perfect for the holidays! LOVE!

shay said...

super cute! simple but i love them!

we were debating on what to do for stockings too this year, since who knows when we'll have to change ours to mommy and daddy as well. i didn't want to spend a ton of money on stockings to have to replace them... but your idea is cute!

Anonymous said...

love! the glitter initials are fabulous. i just have a couple of old stockings the Hubs mom was getting rid of and gave to us. i want some monogrammed ones in the future though. after christmas maybe?

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful! Great job.

REBrown said...

Very fun! My great grandma crocheted our stockings when I was little and my grandma made my husband's when he came along. They are great mementos.

Anonymous said...

They are cute girl! Make me one! LOL.

Lyndsy said...

Cuteness! So creative and I just love the sparkle!

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

Those are darling. You did such a great job. Love the colors and the mix of linen and glitter. So chic!

Anonymous said...

Very cute!! Love that you'll switch up the letters too :)