Thursday, October 29, 2009

How Do You Feel About Your Body?

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Luckily for me, my mother always told me growing up to be proud of my body, to be happy that I'm healthy, and that God gave me a beautiful body so I have never been very self-conscious. However, since graduating college I find that I must snack at work to stay awake and being in a relationship I have gained what people keep telling me is "happy" weight. Well, I'd be a lot more happy with a flat stomach! It's the only thing I would ever change about my body and I have grown more and more insecure about it. I talked to a trainer about it before and asked if it was even a possibility with my body shape and he asked me if I had always had belly flab, yes even at my thinnest. He told me I could have a flat stomach if I worked out 5 days a week and measured everything I ate. Ummmm no thank you, can I just get it smaller?

I read the article "Oh Wow. These Bodies Are Beautiful" in Glamour and it has restored my confidence and after seeing the pictures I fell in love with my body again. It's a second article that was written after an article in the September issue with the 2nd photo's model Lizzie Miller. The photos featured these beautiful women au natural and their bodies look just like mine- healthy and some rolls of "love" that appear when I'm not leaning back and sucking it in with all my might. They're gorgeous and their real. The picture of Lizzie really popped out at me, she was so gorgeous. Then I read the article and teared up. Being a woman is loving your body and taking care of it- not eating only 500 calories a day and devoting all your free time to the gym. That free time should be for continuing your education, laughing with your friends, and loving the ones you love. Yes, you should work out, but not be a slave to it.

If every woman in magazines looked like the women above, how would it make you feel?

You can read the articles here and here.

3 comments :

Jessica said...

They are beautiful pictures.
It's funny, I always thought I needed to lose 10 pounds to get rid of my fat roll. Then while nursing my 1st baby I lost 20 pounds (lower than my pre-pregnancy weight). And guess what? I have the same complaints about my body!! It's the same shape, just on a smaller scale. Funny.
Such good advice, thanks Kristen!

Amanda said...

Yes, thank you for this. I always have (and still do) struggle with my self-esteem. It's like I don't see my body as something beautiful, just something I would like to fix and change. I really wish more magazines would make these types of women the stars. I think it's because of the way magazines portray women that we all have a distorted view of the way "normal" bodies look! Thanks for sharing the articles!

Anonymous said...

I like the add but that second pic is nasty! lololo

Tricia