Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Another Reason Why I Don't Watch the News

Did you know that your sandals could kill you?
Yep, you read that right.
Photobucket
Two reporters from New York Daily News tested their flip flops after walking around the city for four days and found that the rubber shoes picked up about 18,100 bacteria! That's 18,100 bacteria! Blech. One was even a deadly one! Staphylococcus aureus, and Scientists say that it can cause skin infections just from contact. But, they say, if it enters the bloodstream and goes undetected, it can kill you. Dr. Charles P. Gerba -- professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona -- says that 93 percent of flip flops will have fecal bacteria after three months of wear, and 20 percent will have E. coli. Thank you KTLA for your ever uplifting updates.

2 comments :

Amanda said...

Oh gross. And I won't even tell you how long I've had the same couple pairs of flip flops...but ew, maybe I'll go get new ones.

Becky said...

I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read that.