Monday, May 7, 2012

Our First Year


I can't believe it's already been a year since Matt and I were married. It seems like it was just the other day, but at the same time I feel like we've always been together. It's been so wonderful and exciting. The other night, I was reflecting on our first year and thinking about all of my favorite moments and times when I felt that we were growing. It's amazing what you learn in marriage and while living together with someone (Matt and I chose to wait until marriage before moving in together). I wanted to share some of what I've learned with you guys, but I know for certain there's much more to learn over the rest of our lives.

-The importance of positive affirmations
I need to hear all the good things, but so does my husband. It's good to share the little things I'm thinking;  how I think he's such a hunk, or how proud I am of him, that his hours at the gym are paying off, how lucky I am, etc. I know how I feel when he tells me these things, it's important to tell him and not just assume he knows.

-Always be grateful
Matthew and I do a lot for each other, and we like to. Just because your spouse does something all the time for you, you shouldn't expect them to do it. They do it because they love you and you want to be sure you're appreciating them and the act. Making food for the other, massages, running errands, chores you can't stand to do, etc all of these are little acts of love to help support the other.

 -Listen without being emotional
This one is hard for me. I can be so emotional and let's be honest, Matt hurts my feelings sometimes. Does he do it on purpose? Absolutely not. Is he just trying to communicate with me and be honest? Of course. Remembering this helps when we're having a heated discussion or just when he's trying to tell me something I don't agree with. 

-Communication is key
This is something I'm continuing to learn everyday. I'm hoping to one day have it mastered? Syke. I think that's something even oldies continue to learn. Obviously, communication is key to any relationship, but what I've learned this past year is talking with Matt about the "stupid" things I usually would save for my girlfriends. I mean Matt is my best friend right? Why shouldn't I go with him about something first? At first, I felt silly, like he wouldn't care, and now I don't even think twice about it. It's made me feel so much closer to him. Sometimes, I still keep stuff for my girls, but I've started to share more and more of the smaller things with matt.

Now, I realize that these four items aren't groundbreaking by any means, but just like with anything else here on the blog, I must share it! What is something you've learned from relationships? What advice have you heard or have learned? Please share!

If you thought this was good, you can see the advice I was given at my bridal shower here. Those ladies know their stuff!

17 comments :

Schnelle said...

Happy Anniversary! Communication is definitely key, you made such great points.

palmandpineblog said...

Love this post! ;)

Lindsay said...

Happy anniversary!!

Chelsea Mac said...

Happy anniversary!! I agree with you on all accounts. Cheers to many many more happy years!

Frances @ It's Sew My Style said...

Happy Anniversary!! The things you mentioned are key in any relationship and of course, take time to get just right. Loved this post!

Meg O. said...

Wonderful post! Happy anniversary!

Carolyn said...

Happy anniversary! :) I love these tips!

KRISTIN said...

Cannot believe it's already been a year!!! HAPPY belated ANNIVERSARY to the both of you! xoxoxoxox!

Lyndsy said...

happy one year anniversary! cheers to the two of you and many more years of wedding bliss!

the girl in the red shoes said...

Happy anniversary! The two of you are such a gorgeous couple!

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

Great post! Happy Anniversary! :)

Veronika said...

happy anniversary!!! :)

eliz said...

Happy Anniversary and thanks for the words of wisdom! :-)

Anonymous said...

Cant believe its been a year! happy anniversary doll!

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY you love birds! Love hearing about you and your relationship and GREAT advice shared. Simple rules are always the best to follow!

bunny said...

You are wise beyond your years. This is a great post. Thank you for sharing and making us think about what's really important.

Katie said...

Hope you had a great anniversary!! These are such great things to remember! Thanks for sharing. :)