Thursday, October 27, 2011

Candied Almonds, I'm Obsessed

Bavarian Vanilla Almonds via My Baking Addiction

Last weekend I made the most delicious treat, candied almonds! I found the recipe on Pinterest (of course) and it was so easy.

I brought it to snack on for the Pumpkin Festival and Bug Fair and all of the family ate them right up! I plan on making them for the holidays to give to friends, neighbors and co-workers in cute gift bags.

The best part about them, besides how easy they are to make, is that they're natural without artificial ingredients or dyes (which has become a big deal in our family) so they're great for everyone. Plus, you can use a variety of nuts based on your preference.

Bavarian Vanilla Almonds via My Baking Addiction
Ingredients
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract if you are using regular granulated sugar instead of vanilla sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 pound almonds or pecans
3/4 cup of vanilla sugar (if you do have vanilla sugar, simply substitute regular granulated sugar)
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons of Vanilla Fleur de Sel (if you do not have Vanilla Fleur de Sel simply substitute fine grain sea salt)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine egg white, vanilla extract and water. Beat mixture until frothy. Stir in almonds and mix to coat.
3. Gently combine sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt and stir into almond mixture, thoroughly coating all nuts.
4. Evenly spread nuts onto prepared baking sheet and place into oven.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
6. When cool, pack in an airtight jar. They will keep at room temperature for about 2 weeks.

I used raw almonds from Costco, regular granulated sugar, regular table salt, and covered my baking sheet with aluminum foil. With these simple changes, the nuts still turned out delicious! I can't wait to make them again and try different nuts, pecans would be delicious!

What goodies do you like to make for the holidays?

8 comments :

dietje said...

it looks great

Lindsey A. Turner said...

mmm! those look so good!

Lindsey Turner
http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

Jess... said...

I HAVE to try these!!!!

Anonymous said...

They look good, but...

I don't do nuts.

hahahaha, but seriously though.

REBrown said...

Candied pecans are delicious too!

Anonymous said...

great idea for gifts! pinterest is going to make me fat/spend money.

Hot Pink Combat Boots said...

There are recipes on pininterest? I thought it was just photos - I need to spend more time on that website. I love candied nuts too - I'm sure you were a HUGE hit.

Pumpkin festival? FUN!!

Miss K - I'm down to 3 days in Germany. Can you believe it? (I can't believe it's been 6 months - holyy cow). Sorry for the delay on featuring your lovely postcard, but there postcard/blog love for you today.

Michelle ;)

erica said...

What a great recipe! I definitely need to give this a try they sound amazing!

xo