Over the weekend, my sister and I were both home sick so we decided to take advantage of our time and watch the first season of Glee. I had wanted to watch it from the beginning, but forgot to Tivo it and then fell 5 episodes in before I realized it wasn't on demand. Boo hoo. So I've been dying for it to come out for rent so I could catch up before it starts again April 13 after a 4 month hiatus.
I must say that I don't know how I lived before Glee. Yes, I know that's over exaggerating, but the show is unlike anything else and amazing. The cast is excellent, there's somebody for everyone. They all look different, dress different, and have different interests, but are still friends. Although there are some beauties and hunks on the show, it's believable that they're high school students.
Another thing that Glee has that separates it from other shows is how upbeat it is. It is quite impossible to feel down when listening to show tunes and up beat songs everyone knows and loves such as "Don't Stop Believing", "Single Ladies", or "Bust A Move". One of the creators, Ryan Murphy, explains why the show is a success: he intended the show to be a form of escapism, explaining: "There's so much on the air right now about people with guns, or sci-fi, or lawyers running around. This is a different genre, there's nothing like it on the air at the networks and cable. Everything's so dark in the world right now, that's why Idol worked. It's pure escapism." (found here). Watching Glee is heart-warming with a little bit of fun drama, but it reminds you of what it's like to be in high school, to still have your whole life ahead of you, and how the journey is to find yourself. Plus, it's really funny as well as entertaining without being super cheesy like 7th Heaven or something.
For fun, here are some fun facts about the show:
- Chris Colfer, who plays Kurt Hummel, left such an impression on the creators that they developed his character just for him because he didn't fit into any role they had currently written.
- Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman) auditioned with a mohawk for the part to stand out, and it worked! However, he's sick of having it but has to keep it for the show.
- Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams) is reportedly the best dancer of the cast, but his character is a paraplegic and he doesn't get to show of his moves.
- Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson) reportedly had never sang before the show, but just went for it anyways. For his audition, he sent in a video of himself playing "drums" with a set of Tupperware and glasses, but he does play in real life as well
- Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones) was rejected from American Idol, thank goodness though because Glee wouldn't be the same without her character.
PS- The soundtrack is amazing! I've listened to it all week on my drive to and from work!