Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Product Review: e.l.f. Studio Mascara Primer


A few weeks ago, I ordered this mascara primer and I couldn't wait to try it out!

From the site, the primer will "lengthen and volumize eyelashes instantly with this Mascara Primer. Revitalize lashes with Pro-Vitamin B5, Hydrolyzed Wheat and Soy Protein-enriched formula. An excellent conditioning base for mascara. Coat each lash with this nourishing primer for lashes that appear naturally thicker, longer and stronger!".

To use the primer, curl your lashes first, apply the primer, and let it fully dry before coating with mascara. It's easy to know when it's dry because the product goes on white and dries clear.

Here it is right after applying:

I used L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara (see my review here) over the primer. On the left is the mascara on it's own, and on the right is layered over the primer. 


You can't see much difference between the before and after pics, it's more visible in real life, I promise! With the primer, my lashes look so thick. The lashes are soft and very feathery when layered with the primer. It give you the look of  multiple layers of mascara, but without the clumping.

I really like this primer and plan on purchasing it again, but I don't think it's a must have. I wouldn't make an e.l.f. order for just this one item, but will definitely buy it again.

Have you tried mascara primers before? Did they work? I know there's a lot of mascaras that are double-ended with mascara on one side and primer on the other that are pretty popular.

9 comments :

Schnelle said...

great review! I'll keep my eye out for it in the stores. Thanks!

Kristin said...

oooooh, I need to get this! Will you remind me of that recent mascara that you loved?! I need to go get some new mascara like stat!

Sarah said...

I can see a difference! I saw this on their website but wasn't sure if it would even do anything! Great review :)

Lindsey said...

I love it too! I totally tell a difference as well with it. But half the time I'm too lazy to add it, wait for it to dry and then do mascara during the week. SO normally only use when going out!

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

You find the coolest beauty products to try. I would never think of using/buying this. The hardest thing about make up is all the steps. I want it done asap. haha. I would probably skip this.

REBrown said...

I've never heard of Mascara primer. Could you wear it without mascara over it for a more natural look? Sometimes I just wear makeup primer instead of foundation.

Anonymous said...

To quote you:

that's it. i'm buying it.

annclara said...

I love your header :-)

E.L.F. Lover said...

Try the clear mascara elf has. It's great (: